Wednesday, October 5, 2011

In the Beginning

For as long as I can remember, television has been part of my daily schedule. When I needed to relax or waste time during my summer days, I would always turn to TV. Coming home after an eight hour day at school, TV was a pleasant way to relax and forget my troubles for the day. It was a window to the outside world, a way for me to see the troubles that other people were having and relate to them. It provided me with programs to learn everything that a normal classroom could not, such as friendship, decision making, and patience. To me it was a bridge between what school was able to teach me and what it left out of its curriculum.


But that was for only four hours out my day. TV was part of my daily schedule, but not a major part because I was told to do activities that were more productive, such as painting, drawing, and playing sports. During those four hours though, TV has taught me some important lessons. For example, one of my favorite shows as a child (and still is), was "Arthur." In each episode, Arthur went through an experience that taught him an important lesson. One episode was about how hitting people is wrong no matter what they have done to upset you. Having an older brother taught me the same thing, but TV enforced it. TV strengthened the morals that I already knew were right and showed me the ones that were wrong. 

Even though TV has helped me learn important life lessons, it has impeded the growth of other important life skills, such as social skills. As an impressionable child, I was easily influenced by what my heroes were doing. It prevented me from performing more physical activities that could make my body healthier. I was exposed to materials and topics that were really meant for adults, such as violence and other risky behaviors. TV augmented my procrastination to do my homework or chores. In high school, had I not watched TV for as long as four hours, I could have had my homework done by 9:00 p.m. everyday. However, it was my choice to watch TV instead of improving myself, and it is partly my fault for my weaknesses. 


Maybe the key to TV is balance. Watching TV in moderation is a good thing, but excessive TV can be harmful. Children will be able to obtain their important life lessons and leave the other harmful behind. In this way they can have physical activity, be more productive and stay healthy. Of course, as children get older they will develop a different taste in TV shows, and some will be hard not to watch. I myself have the same issue. I have some TV shows that I need to watch, and I only watch the shows that I want to. I don't really turn on the TV just because I am bored. I tend to paint, draw or listen to music when I am bored. I can not eliminate TV from life because it's part of my daily schedule for so long, but I can limit what and how much I watch. 


Parents are the key to this balance. Without parents, children will not learn their limits for TV and watch whatever show seems interesting. Most of the time these shows are about violence, sex, and risky behavior. These topics are for adults, not for children who are still developing. Parents can teach their children and teenagers which shows will be helpful to them and which are harmful. Doing so, will allow their children to grow up to be healthy in every aspect of their lives. 

4 comments:

  1. I actually agree with the sentiments of this post. As with all things, TV should be enjoyed in moderation. Excessive behavior will only have negative effect on a child, especially that of a developing child. Parents should be guidance but I feel that there is a point when a parent's control unnecessary. Now, this point depends on the maturity of the child but it is a valid reason of concern. There needs to be guidance in material viewed until it can be confirmed that a child can handle risque behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I'm not sure some adults "can handle" risque behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you are growing up until after you graduate college. The things you do in college can really affect what you do for the rest of your life. So watching television excessively applies to when you are a teenage and college student. I find myself sitting in front of the computer, reading your blog, and replying, all while watching TV! Most of these kids here have a TV which they sit next too and play xbox or watch movies the whole day. It has to flood their minds with all kinds of things. It cannot be good because they really can be spending their time doing more beneficial things such as working out, studying, or reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on how much you let TV affect your life. If you watch TV rather do other productive activities, then of course you're self-discipline won't be as strong as others later in life. Your correct in saying that spending too much time watching TV can flood their minds with all kinds of things, but it also depends on what they are watching as well. If they are interested in just watching Discovery Health or CNN Health or other educational channels, then they are learning about something. However, if they just watch Sports Center or cartoons then are not using their time as productively.

    ReplyDelete